Below you will find the responses for many frequently asked questions (FAQ). To use the FAQ, simply click on a question and the answer will expand below it. This Frequently Asked Questions page has been created as a part of Strategy I Communication of our district's Strategic Plan 2017-2022. Our goal with this page is to improve our website user experience by making it easier for visitors to find information quickly. If there is a question missing below, please submit it by e-mailing [email protected].

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the Standard Response Protocol (SRP)?
Derby Public Schools uses a Standard Response Protocol, SRP. This is a simplified crisis response that helps staff, students, parents and first responders to quickly and adequately respond to crisis situations. More information and a parent reference guide can be found HERE.
How do I make a report on something suspicious or a safety concern? 
The Kansas School Safety Hotline, 1 (877) 626-8203, can be used to anonymously report any potential violence 24 hours per day, 365 days year. Derby Public Schools also utilizes See Something Say Something which provides anyone the ability submit anonymous tips through additional methods including a secure website, app or phone number. Click HEREfor more information.
What is the district’s reunification plan and what do I need to do?
In the event a situation results in evacuation of one of our schools, we want our families to know that Derby Public Schools has procedures in place to respond to the situation and to reunite students with appropriate guardians. More information can be found HERE.
Where can I find information about boundaries?
Current Boundary Maps can be viewed HERE Additional information regarding boundaries, transfers and much more can be found under the Parents tab HERE.
What is the Enrollment process?
Information regarding enrollment, boundaries, transfers and much more can be found under the Parents tab HERE.
How do I submit an out-of-district or in-district transfer request?
Transfer information can be found HERE. This information is updated prior to the request acceptance timeframe each year.
What is Skyward and how do I use it?
Skyward is a student information system that allows for posting of student grades and management of their information. Specific questions and help with login questions can be answered in your student's school office. You can sign up for push notifications in Skyward's Family Access. To learn more about this, click HERE.
What is Canvas and how do I use it?
Canvas is a teacher-student-parent learning management system (LMS) used by Derby Public Schools’ teachers to help present class material in an electronic, online format. Find Canvas tips HERE.
What is e~Funds and how do I use it?
e~Funds is the Derby Public Schools online system for collecting student fees including breakfast/lunch money, Latchkey fees, etc. Learn more and how to set up e~Funds HERE.
What supports/opportunities exist for military families?
Our school district works in close partnership with McConnell Air Force Base Leadership and the School Liaison Officer to address the needs of military-connected students in the district. Read more about military family opportunities HERE.
What students receive busing? What is our route?
Students who live 2.5 miles or more from their attendance center and within the Derby Public Schools USD260 school district are eligible for bus transportation to and from school. Find out more about our transportation services HERE.
What services do you provide for kids before and after school?
There are some before and after school services available to Derby Public Schools’ students. Find more information about services that may be available HERE.
What extracurricular activities are available for students?
Find information on athletics, activities and clubs available to enhance your child's extracurricular career HERE. This information is updated prior to the request acceptance timeframe each year.
Can I find the district or my student’s school on social media?
Yes. Derby Public Schools and all 12 of our school building entities have a presence on social media, including Facebook and Twitter. Find details for these pages HERE.
How do I apply for Free/Reduced Meals?
Free/Reduced meal applications are available in English and Spanish. Applications are also accepted for the Community Assistance School Lunch Program - a temporary, short-term assistance program. Find applications and more information HERE.
What are the policies for Derby Public School and for my student’s school?
Derby Public Schools Board of Education Policies and Handbooks for Elementary, Middle and High School can be found HERE.
What does the district do in the event of inclement weather?
In the case of inclement weather, Derby Public Schools follows established guidelines for weather-related school cancellation and/or delay. Find detailed information on these guidelines HERE.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.